What is an Infographic?
An infographic is a graphic, VISUAL representation of data or information you are trying to convey. It goes beyond just charts by combining the visual accessibility of charts with images, illustrations and other content.
Infographics can show numbers, charts, timelines, lists, comparisons and more.
Why are Infographics Popular?
We’ve often heard it said that a picture is worth 1,000 words. Most of us find a visual or graphic format easier to access and understand than a wall of text or numbers.
Infographics are a more powerful way to communicate your message in a way that people “get” more intuitively.
Why Should You Use Infographics?
In addition to being a great way to visually get your message across, Infographics are shared an estimated 5X as much on social media as regular articles online. This makes infographics great for content marketing.
Infographics are also great for SEO as they attract quality links for search engine optimization.
How are Infographics Made?
There are a number of ways to make infographics. You can learn to make infographics yourself using graphic design software or you can hire a designer to make infographics for you.
You can use graphic design software like Adobe Photoshop to make your infographic, but we recommend you use PowerPoint as your infographic maker software.
Why PowerPoint is a Great Infographic Maker
So why would we suggest PowerPoint instead of a tool like Adobe Photoshop as infographic maker software?
Here are a few reasons:
- PowerPoint is Easy to Use: Photoshop is very powerful, but has a steep learning curve. Unless you are a full time graphic designer, the cost and difficulty in learning Photoshop is a barrier. PowerPoint’s simple interface makes it easier for beginners.
- Software Already on Site: Most companies already have PowerPoint in their software library so there is no need to buy additional expensive software.
- Infographic Templates: The popularity of PowerPoint means there is a huge library of templates available, including thousands of infographic templates.
- Powerful Infographic Maker Plugins: PowerPoint has powerful, easy to use infographic plugins that let you connect your infographic to your data in real time.
Real-Time Connections for Infographics
One great thing that PowerPoint can do that Photoshop can’t with infographics is making real time connections.
Using our DataPoint software, you can connect your PowerPoint infographic to live data in a wide range of formats. This means that the quantitative or chart-like parts of your infographic can update in real time.
This is great for creating dynamic data points for your infographics such as:
- tachometer style measures
- automatically updating charts
More Infographic Help
For more help with using PowerPoint as your infographic maker software, please contact us.