When you are looking to fill openings in your company, have you thought of the advantages of internal recruitment?
What is Internal Recruitment?
Internal recruitment is the filling of jobs from people already within your organization.
Advantages of Internal Recruitment
There are many advantages of internal recruitment. Here are just a few:
1) Internal recruitment is cost-effective. There’s no need for costly advertising, and you won’t have to pay a recruiter or staffing agency to find candidates for the position.
2) It saves onboarding time. You don’t have to train new employees because they already know the processes and procedures of your business. You already know that they will fit in with your culture and team dynamics since they already work there. You also know that they have the skills necessary to do the job since they are already working in the company and have demonstrated those skills.
3) It can be a positive experience for the current employees who are applying for the position. They get increased responsibility and often increased pay as well. This makes them feel good about their work and that they are progressing in their career with your company. It also helps keep them loyal to your company because they know you believe in them and want them to succeed at working for you.
4) Recruiting candidates internally can be a great way to improve employee morale and productivity. The reason is simple: when you hire internally, you’re showing your employees that there are opportunities to move up in your company and that they can grow professionally while staying at the same place.
But I still Have to Replace My Internal Employee
Yes, you do have to replace the promoted or transferred employee, but often you are now replacing at a more junior level which should be easier to recruit for and train. And you have to weigh this against the benefits to employee morale and loyalty when they know they have growth opportunities within your company.
From an employer’s perspective, having employees who want to grow within your organization is valuable because it helps reduce turnover which can be expensive.
Communicating Internal Job Postings
Now that you know you want to benefit from the advantages of internal recruitment, how do you make your employees aware of the internal job postings?
Here are a few ideas:
- Put up a bulletin board in the employee break room area where you can pin up job postings and other relevant recruitment information.
- List the internal job postings on your company website. This is especially important for those employees who work from home or have flexible schedules.
- Circulate job postings internally by email. This is a great way to keep everyone informed of new openings throughout the company.
Another great way to promote internal job postings is by using MessagePoint to show job postings on your company-wide computer network screens.
MessagePoint is a unified communication tool for your computer network that can distribute job postings (and other employee communications) by push notifications, computer lock screens, computer wallpaper, and screensavers.